Weaning

So here I sit 4 days away from my baby's first birthday extremely proud that she has been exclusively breastfed. I feel fortunate to have worked full time and kept it up, but I don't think luck is the only thing that got us this far. I think persistence and strong support are what made the difference.
When Sarah Graves was fussy at two days old and my milk had not yet come in, no one suggested we try formula and still didn't when I was exhausted from nights of getting up to give my baby the one thing that soothed her. Whether it was because he knew how important it is to me or because he truly believes in the benefits of it, Aaron never suggested we try formula. Having that kind of support and no one doubting you and what you are trying to do makes a big difference. That kind of support is one of the kindest things that the people closest to you can do in the early days of being a mother.
When she woke up at 2 am and I was exhausted, nursing was mine. When she looked up at me and gave me a soft smile with her pudgy hand on my breast, nursing was mine. When she is too cranked up to settle down and focus on it, nursing is mine. When she relaxes against me and gives a sigh of contentment, nursing is mine. Nursing takes work and commitment, and gives so much fulfillment. I feel so frustrated when I hear women complain about it as though it is a burden or an obligation. I have felt it is truly a gift given to me to be able to spend that time with her. It is something that only I can give her and it has made me feel so special.
So like I said, we are almost to her first birthday when many assume you will wean. Forgive me, but I am not ready to give up that quiet, peaceful time with my active toddler. I can describe the health benefits that are derived from nursing beyond the first year, but this is more emotional than it is scientific. I think she is busy during her day and probably doesn't desire to nurse much anymore, but I think she appreciates our early morning and bedtime togetherness. That's fine with me.
As much as I love nursing, I will not miss pumping. That part has felt like an obligation and an inconvenience that I won't miss in a few weeks when it is phased out.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable