Freebirthing

A co-worker told me about this crazy trend called Freebirthing. Women who choose to freebirth feel that the best way to have their baby is at home without any medical intervention or medical professionals there. Aaron and I caught a program last night on Discovery Health that followed 3 women as they made the choice and followed through with their freebirth. It was quite shocking to see that today, women who have access to medical care choose to give birth without any of the benefits of modern medicine. Just the woman and her husband or a family member there in their home having a baby and handling all the post natal stuff on their own.
I have mentioned before that I really like the idea of a natural childbirth and plan to pursue this, but we are most definitely planning to have trained professionals around to monitor and care for me and baby. Although I do not want a freebirth, I must say that the women were incredibly calm, had short labors (2 hours), and seemed very relaxed. If you want to see a video of a freebirth, you can go to YouTube and search for freebirthing. I don't recommend this if you don't like being up close and personal with a woman in labor.

Comments

Nikki said…
I'm with you -- many women and children in the past have died during the child birthing procedure -- why risk anyones life if medical care is available. Too much risk; not to mention ickyness of that happening in your house/bed! The whole event is a miracle and should not be treated like Friday night family entertainment! Just my thoughts!

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!