Flu Shot

We knew this was coming, flu season, and having to make a choice about the flu shot. I did some reading and there is no definitive recommendation on whether to give it or not.  It's not required for school or anything like that.  I did some reading on Dr. Sears' site and found that about 120 pediatric patients a year die from the flu in the U.S.  That's a pretty small number compared to the number of kids in this country.  There are countless more kids who become really sick and have to be hospitalized with the flu, so that's really scary.  Vaccine manufacturers have done very few studies on the effects of the vaccines on kids, so there is no research to say that it is fine long-term. Aaron and I have considered it and we decided it might be best to get her the flu vaccine.  The thing that closed the deal for us is that we will be flying with her several times in the next two months and that seemed like it would increase her chances of being exposed to the flu. 

We knew that we wanted a mercury free vaccine, so I went over to the CDC's website to get information on which ones don't have mercury.  Can you believe that vaccines still come with mercury?  Yes, they do, especially for adults.  The one that we want is by FluZone, it comes in a .25 mL, pre-filled syringe.  I guess it's easier for vaccine manufacturers to make it with mercury and it's easier for them to store the vaccine if it is in larger containers and let the doctors dose it out.  I called our pediatrician's office and they do offer this particular form of the vaccine. 

Because the flu shot is known to cause reactions, especially fever, I want to give her immune system a break and avoid any other vaccines when she gets it.  So that means delaying her polio vaccine, which she is due for at her 9 month well-baby visit on Monday.  Dr. Sears recommends putting off the polio vaccine because the chances of her contracting polio in this country are almost nil.  Gotta love herd immunity.  Because this is her first time getting a flu shot, she will have one dose this month and a second dose next month.  That means we will put the polio off until December and then we will be back on track with our schedule. 

I will not be getting the flu shot.  I don't usually get the vaccine and have been fortunate in not getting the flu (knock on wood).  I feel like I have a healthy immune system and will probably be able to fight it.  Aside from the fact that the effects of the vaccine are poorly studied, even for adults, the effects of the vaccine for breastfed babies are really not known.  That's the piece of information that makes me feel like not getting the shot is the best thing for me. 

One of the biggest reasons several pediatricians gave for not doing the alternative schedule is that it is more difficult and more likely that a vaccine will be missed.  I think that is a terrible reason not to offer the alternative schedule, especially when a parent requests it.  But, I do have to say that it is a little more work for me to stay on top of what she needs in order to make sure that we stay on schedule. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!