Strike!

No, we didn't go bowling or join a union!  Sarah Graves is going through what sounds like a nursing strike.  Not familiar with a nursing strike?  Well, neither was I until Aaron told me about it after he read my nursing book.  He picked up the book while I was rocking Sarah Graves teary-eyed over the fact that she hasn't wanted to nurse much the last few days.  It's been almost a week now that she has little interest in nursing except when she's very sleepy or just waking up.  The rest of the time she is very restless and just keeps pulling herself off.  This has made it very painful for me and quite frustrating. 
I found some great information and links about nursing strikes on Kelly Mom.  If you breastfeed, this site is a treasure trove of information!  One of the links that was help was from La Leche League.  I was very concerned that her disinterest in nursing was a sign that she wants to wean herself.  I know that she won't nurse forever, but I am just not prepared for her to give it up now and she still needs all the nutrition that it provides.  My fears were calmed when I read that most babies will not wean themselves before a year old and that weaning is usually a gradually process and nursing strikes have a quick onset.  One of the common causes of a nursing strike is pain from teething, but I don't think that she has a tooth that is about to errupt.  I read that some babies will strike when they are on the cusp of a new skill like crawling or walking.  That sounds like my girl.  She can scoot herself, she can get up on hands and knees and rock, but she just can't get going on her hands and knees.  She spends a lot of time trying, so maybe that is what has her so distracted!
From what I read the best things to do are nurse when baby is sleepy, try to have a distraction free place to nurse, hold baby close with a lot of skin to skin contact, and offer baby some milk in a cup when she refuses to nurse.  Most nursing strikes are over in a few days and it seems that some last up to two weeks.  I am going to try to be patient.  Now that I know it is likely a temporary thing I can relax a little. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable