Teaching Her to Read

Aaron and I both love to read and choose to quite often.  When I was early in the pregnancy we caught an infomercial on TV for the Your Baby Can Read program.  I was fascinated by it and described it to my Mom who watched the TV spot about it.  We sort of got busy with learning about childbirth and forgot about the reading program.  Then, we remembered it about a month ago and started doing more research on it.  It seems that the idea of teaching babies and very young children to read has been around for quite some time and in the 60's it was put into a formal program. 
Dr. Glen Doman is one of the founders of the program and has written books on ths.  He and his colleagues actually discovered that young children can learn to read easily while doing work with brain injured children.  You can learn more about his philosophy and products by going to this site.  Once Mom and I started reading about his program, we realized that we didn't need the pricey Your Baby Can Read program, we needed the book, "How to Teach Your Baby to Read" and a few basic supplies to start our own reading program. 
The basic premise of the program is that you start as early as possible (birth), make the words in very large print (5" tall), you show them to your child very quickly, and keep it fun.  We started showing Sarah Graves the words today and just like the book said she would, she was totally focused and seemed to enjoy it. 
It will take some time before we have any idea what she is learning, but I think she was soaking it in today.  I guess we will see what she is thinking when she starts talking or baby signing to us!  I'll write about our efforts to baby sign in another post.

Comments

Vita said…
Hi Natalie,

Do you know about lapsit storytimes for infants? I checked and it looks like they have them in your public library system.

Do you read stories aloud to her? Your local children's collection should have lot's of choices, and your librarian is a good resource for developmentally appropriate materials.

Of course if you have any questions, I am always glad to help.

Vita
Nikki said…
Once again -- my rock star parents!! You have NO idea how far ahead of the game you are. I am just sooooo "proud" of how amazing you two are!! Way to go!! I LOVE bragging on you -- how Sarah Graves sleeps through the night and is sooo happy.
Natalie said…
Vita, thanks for the information! My Mom checked into it and our local libraries offer the lapsit classes. It sounds like fun!

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable