Yesterday

Yesterday proved to be a tough day on me and Sarah Graves.  I'm not exactly sure how we got so messed up, but once we did, I never could get us back on track.  I woke her up from a morning nap to go somewhere (okay, so this might be where I messed up) and she let me know how much she appreciated it by crying for about 30 minutes in the car!  The rest of the day proceeded with her nursing and me trying to get her to take a nap to have her sleep for about 15 or 20 minutes at a time.  She just fought sleep and was so unhappy from it.  My heart breaks when she just cries and nothing you try makes her feel better.  My one sure fire way to console her is to let her nurse.  She pretty much never refuses to nurse and it seems to help her calm down.  One of my big concerns when I go back to work is how Mom will console her on these rough days because she doesn't seem to be soothed by the bottle like she is by nursing. 
The two enjoyable times in our day were going for a walk in the evening with Aaron and Lucy, and taking a bath.  She kicked her feet and looked all around while she rode in the stroller.  She splashed and got so excited in the bath.  I was glad she had these two fun times in what was otherwise a miserable day for her. 
The bath followed by a long nursing seemed to relax her.  I put her in her crib at 8 o'clock and she layed there and occasionally fussed a little for her pacifier until she fell asleep at 8:45.  Fortunately, she slept until she woke to eat at 2 AM, then slept until she ate at 6:30, and slept until she ate at 8:30.  She needed the sleep desperately!
Today I am trying to be sure that she gets plenty of sleep so that we avoid the overtired state.  It's really hard when she tends to fight sleep like she does.  Unfortunately, this is a part of myself that I see in her.  I fight sleep until I can't go any further.   

Comments

Leslie said…
Do you have a bouncy chair? One of those with a vibrator in it? We had one (made by Boppy and I highly recommend it if you don't have one - soft jiggle, white noise machine, and the batteries lasted forever) and there were times when it was just the magic we needed to 1.) achieve calm and 2.) achieve sleep when she was fighting it. That and the "swinging" from _Happiest Baby_ were my two go twos (other than nursing which wasn't always an option) when we reached the fussy point of no return. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable