The Right Medical Care

So, last week Aaron brought home a DVD that he thought would be interesting and show us different types of births. The DVD is titled The Business of Being Born and is an in depth look at the state of hospital and Ob/Gyn care in the U.S. and does not paint a pretty picture. This made me realize that a number of things my doctor had mentioned that made me feel uneasy during my first appointment were some of the things that this documentary pointed out as wrong with the state of care for women today. This started the search for a health care provider that would share more in my desire for a natural birth rather than pushing me into the convenient way for them. Aaron had no idea the DVD that he brought home would set us off on this quest.
After Aaron and I discussed it we decided that although home birth provides a lot of freedom to plan your birth the way you want, it just isn't for us. We both are uncomfortable with the lack of medical technology should trouble arise and Aaron isn't sure about that experience in our bedroom. I can understand. So, we have agreed that a hospital birth is the way we will go, but we need a different doctor/midwife. Mom knows someone who is a labor and delivery nurse and she confirmed some of my fears about the doctor I originally started seeing. So, today we are off to interview a midwife who is in a large practice with several doctors. I am hoping that she will have a similar outlook on birth to mine and I will feel more confident that what I want will be considered and that I won't be manipulated to do what is convenient for a doctor (i.e., the recommendation for a C-section because it's near dinnertime and the doctor wants to get home to his/her family).

Comments

Let me know howit goes. I'm anxious to hear what she has to say.
Nikki said…
Me too -- how horrible that they treat it like a car being serviced. Oh let's get that oil changed at 9am. Horrible!!

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable