Check-up

Yesterday was my 39 week check-up. Chubby and I are both doing fine. He is head down with his head getting low. He is on his side, but he can still rotate during labor. Having his back against my belly would be the easiest for labor, but this can work.

I was a little disappointed to learn that because I am now 35 they want to do more testing at 40 weeks before letting me go past my due date. It is one of those statistical things that after 35 the lifespan of the placenta gets shorter. They aren't exactly sure at what age, so they picked 35 to be on the safe side. In order to reduce risk, they recommend ultrasound and being on the monitor to ensure baby is doing well. It isn't that I don't want to know Chubby is doing well, my concern is that this could be the start of interventions that take me away from the birth I want. Ultrasounds are notoriously wrong at identifying a baby's weight and I am concerned it may suggest Chubby is big and they will want to induce. For me induction sounds awful because the pitocin makes your labor start off hard and can lead to a slew of other interventions resulting in a cesarean.

I really trust the perinatologist that we will see next week (he was voted best in Atlanta) and know that my practice has a low induction rate (5 %), so they will do what they can to make sure I get the birth I want. I just hate feeling like the clock is ticking; especially, when I have so little control. The midwife I love is on call this weekend, so maybe Chubby will spare me the anxiety and come a few days early!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!