Back Pain, Already?

I know they say every pregnancy is different, but I didn't anticipate quite how different the second time might be.  I try to focus on how grateful I am to be pregnant and that it really is a gift, but I have to say that on a daily basis I just don't feel good. 

The last week or two I have started having back pain.  At first, I thought I slept in a funny position or something, but I quickly realized it wasn't going away.  Then, I went for a walk with a co-worker and by the time I was done I could hardly move without feeling sharp pain.  The pain is really low and not where I would normally expect to feel back pain.  I am definitely showing, but not so big that my balance would be thrown off or my posture impacted.  So, I did what I usually do, I went to the internet to see what I could find.  After doing some reading on a few sites I made the self-diagnosis of posterior pelvic pain.  The sacroiliac joint in the pelvis becomes loose when the ligaments and muscles stretch during pregnancy.  When the joint is not as tight, it can become irritated and cause the pain deep in the lower back.  Apparently, this is the most common type of back pain during pregnancy and it usually becomes worse throughout the pregnancy and gets better after delivery.  That's the part that got me, it gets worse throughout pregnancy and the only real help is giving birth. 

Hhhmmm, walking up stairs, bending, carrying SG, carrying any object, and any type of walking seem to make it worse and I'm only 15 weeks pregnant.  That didn't sound good.  So, I called the chiropractor who treats SG and has wanted Aaron and I to get treatment.  She specializes in pregnancy and pediatrics, so I felt confident going to her.  I have also seen her treat a lot of pregnant women, and it looked very gentle.  So, I made an appointment and saw her Friday.  I wasn't expecting a lot from one visit, especially after reading that it is pretty constant once it starts.  I would not say that I don't have any discomfort, but it is Sunday night and I have been with SG and lifted her and carried her some over the weekend and I am not uncomfortable.  Walking up the stairs isn't an arduous task and I'm not feeling like I need to stay in bed for the duration.  So, I would consider it a success.  She did a very minor adjustment on my spine similar to what she uses for SG, she did a few exercises to help stretch that area, she massaged it with a menthol balm type stuff, and followed that with an ice pack.  There was nothing jarring or painful and now I am not experiencing the sharp pain when I move my body a certain way. 

Yay for chiropractic! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable