Hard Lesson

When it was time to go to the tree lighting, Charlie first said he didn't feel well. Aaron and I tried to talk him into going but he didn't want to, so I told Aaron and SG to go on without us. As soon as they left, he started to cry. He cried and cried. He tried to say it was my fault, then he said that he did want to go, then he cried about a bad day at school, and everything else. He went on and on for over an hour. I tried as best I could to listen to all his feelings, but at time my patience ran thin and I needed to walk away. Finally, we made fish sticks for him to eat for dinner. After eating 12, yes 12, fish sticks, he decided he was really hungry before and that was why he said he didn't want to go! We talked about how it is good to talk about how you are feeling rather than letting something like being hungry cause you to make a bad choice. We were going to eat before the tree lighting and I thought we explained that, but could have reiterated it if we knew he was hungry. 
A hard lesson for him and one of those not so pleasant parenting evenings for me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable