Fitteds

When I started cloth diapering, I started with pockets and have been a little intimidated to try any other setup.  I read about other ways of cloth diapering, but it feels overwhelming and our ockets work prety well.  Everyone says pockets are the easiest, so I just stuck with that.
Then, Charlie came along.  Nursing all night and sleeping mostly on his side poses a challenge for diapers.  He has a lot of milk going in, making for a lot of wetness coming out.  Then, he is on his side making gravity work against us.  For several weeks he woke up wet, sometimes just damp and other times he was soaked.  I tried adding extra inserts, making sure the diaper was good and snug, etc., but it didn't really matter.
I checked with my favorite cloth diaper blogger, Autumn, at All About Cloth Diapers to get her thoughts on a solution.  She suggested using a fitted with a PUL cover.  Fitteds?  I didn't know about fitteds.  This solution would require thinking.  I read a lot of her reviews on fitted cloth diapers and thought that the hybrid ones sounded cool with their cotton velour insides and microfleece outers, but the price tag of most at upward of $30 wasn't so appealing.  Instead, I went with an organic cotton fitted that is basically the same cotton used to make a flat diaper like moms used years ago, but it has been sewn to be a diaper with snaps.  Because it is all cotton, you have to put a cover over it (like rubber pants years ago).  The fitted was only $9.99 and I already had the PUL cover from the Flip diapers that I have for times when we might travel and need something more like a disposable.

I ordered these from Green Mountain Diapers.  They are organic cotton and come sized.  This is a large, which goes from 20 to 35 pounds.  Inside the diaper are eight layers of cotton with a soaker sewn in.

These have snaps, but you could also opt for a hook and loop closure.  It seems most give you the option.

He looks like a happy customer in it!  I add a Hemp Babies insert between the fitted cloth and the cover for some extra absorbency.  I also learned that you have to make sure the cover is completely covering the fitted because the moisture will wick onto clothes, etc.  

As I was reading up on this, it was mentioned that these can be good for babies in the hot summer months as the cotton is easier for their skin to breathe.  I also read that this is a good option for a diaper rash because you can let them wear just the fitted for short periods and their skin can breathe more.  Plus, the cotton fabric can be washed any way you choose without fear of messing up your diaper.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!