Baby Sleep

I recently came across these posts on my new favorite parenting sites and found them both to be very useful and a bit comforting.  This article describes what is and is not a baby sleep issue.  I like that one of the critical things is if everyone in the household is feeling well and happy with the sleep setup.  Right now, Charlie sleeps most of the time in our bed with us.  It makes it easier to nurse him as he wakes up during the night and he sleeps better snuggled up to momma.  Right now this is working for us and I don't plan to change it.  I am trying to give him opportunities to fall asleep on his own and sleep on his own when he wants to.  This is really different from how I approached things with Sarah Graves because I was really focused on her sleeping in the crib and expected that she should sleep through the night.
This piece focuses on when babies sleep through the night, which is usually between the ages of two and three.  At first I thought that was crazy, but then it occurred to me that SG still wakes during the night and talks for a while or tries to read a book in the dark before falling back to sleep.  So it seems to me, that the goal may not be getting baby to sleep through the night, but teaching them how to fall back to sleep on their own.  I wasn't really able to do that for Sarah Graves until she was eight months old and we reached the point that me getting up every hour or so just wasn't working for us anymore.  At that point I was ready to make a change.  That may be how it works out for Charlie as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!