A Yummy Dinner

One of my favorite meals growing up was stewed chicken.  My great grandmother and my grandmother made it frequently and I loved it.  I decided it might be a meal that appealed to Sarah Graves, too!  It took me a while to make it, but it turned out so tasty.
My grandmother would serve this with potato salad, but I don't like potato salad and neither does Aaron, so we skipped that part.  Instead, I made fried eggplant!  I love fried eggplant and could eat it like candy.  Such a treat!

I had a happy customer!  She liked the eggplant, too.

In case you're curious how to make stewed chicken, here's the recipe that I use from Talk About Good cookbook.

12 chicken thighs (with bone and skin)
2 onions chopped
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
1 c. oil
1 1/2 c. flour
salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste
green oinion tops

Use a large, heavy pan and heat the oil.  Heavily salt and pepper the flour, dredge the chicken in the flour, and place in pan.  You want the chicken to get a nice, deep golden color on each side.  Once golden, take the chicken out and set aside. 
Add the rest of the flour to the pan.  You are going to make a roux, so get ready to stand and stir for a while.  You want the roux to cook until it is the color of peanut butter or a light chocolate.  You will smell the flour cooking and it will have a nutty smell. 
Once the roux is dark, add the chopped vegetables.  Let the vegetables melt into the roux. 
Next, add the chicken and 2 quarts of water.  You can remove the skin and debone the chicken before adding it back, or you can put it in whole.  You want to let it all cook together for a while, 30 minutes or an hour?  Add the salt and pepper to taste. 
Serve it over gummy, white rice or go healthy and make brown.  I have to have white rice with this or it just isn't right.  Place a few green onion tops on top when you're ready to serve.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable