Toddler Craziness

Sarah Graves is becoming more able to "help" herself to things. 
For instance, the other day we were eating at Chick-Fil-A and I gave her chicken nuggets, but I didn't put out any fries for her.  When I wasn't paying much attention, or so she thought, she leaned over and helped herself to one of my fries! 
 
With my grandmothers watching SG and our change in routine, she is home with me in the mornings while I get ready, which is interesting for me.  She wants to be with me (I actually adore that she wants to be wherever I am), so she usually comes with me while I get dressed.  So she was hanging out in my bathroom and was helping herself to things in the drawers.  The cabinets are secured, but there is no easy way to close off the drawers.  She had a bottle of lemon scented potpourri stuff and it was a spritz kind of bottle, so I figured the worst that would happen is she would spray herself in the face (not good, but it seemed better than a tantrum over the bottle).  A few minutes later, I realized that umm she was able to take the top off the bottle.  She came to me with the empty bottle and it took me a second to figure out what she had done.  There was a lovely little trail through the bathroom and into my closet with lemon scented room freshener!  She waved the bottle around joyfully.  Our bathroom has smelled so fresh!
 
Then the other morning, I knew she had one of my makeup brushes (the same one she threw in the bathtub with me a couple of weeks ago) and I watched her bolt out of the bathroom and through my bedroom.  When she did not quickly return, I decided to investigate.  She had the makeup brush and she also had a tube of concealer.  She was so funny because she unscrewed the top of the concealer and had shoved the wand thing up her nose!  By the time I got to her she was making a funny face as she fiddled with the wand and had concealer all over her nose and upper lip! 
 
My bathroom counter now has a lovely collection of all the things that were in the drawers that could prove problematic if she gets her hands on them (nail polish, mascara, etc.)!
 
In our parenting class it was suggested that we envision a sign around our child's neck with her age on it as a way to constantly remind ourselves of her abilities.  I frequently remind myself that she is only 1 and she doesn't know a lot.  This seems to help someone when she is throwing a fit because she can't have something, we don't know what she wants, she's tired, or any other myriad of sources of toddler frustration.  She is saying more words every day, so hopefully the frustration of wanting something that we can't understand will begin to ease up as her vocabulary grows! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable