The League and Me

I spoke with my league placement chair last week and she let me know that because I have completed everything for this league year, I can resign and still have the option to reinstate my membership at a later date.  That made my decision a lot easier. 
Last night, Mom and I went to a meeting to discuss plans to build a birth center here in Atlanta.  InTown Midwifery, the care providers that I have so much respect for, have a vision to open a birth center here in Atlanta.  In order to accomplish this, they need lots of help, mostly with fundraising.  I believe in the value of a birth center so much and so desperately wanted that option when I was planning for Sarah Graves' birth, so it is easy for me to feel compelled to get involved with this mission in any capacity that I can. 
A birth center is like giving birth in a home setting.  They have equipment to monitor baby if needed and their vision is for a center that is minutes from the hospital so a mom or baby could quickly be transported if an emergency arises.  Their vision includes more than just a place to labor and birth babies.  It would also include office space for their midwifery practice and space  for offices for massage therapy, accupuncture, and chiropractic care.  There would also be space for education like childbirth and breastfeeding classes.  I love the idea that there is space for a garden where a laboring woman could walk in a semi-private setting.  One of the things that I like about a birth center is that the homelike setting includes a double bed so that dad can lie down with mom and baby after birth and you only plan to stay for about 6 or 8 hours after giving birth.  The midwife would follow up with you at home the next day to ensure you receive proper monitoring and support.  Can you see why I feel compelled to help make this vision a reality?
I don't know that much about large scale fundraising, but I am hopeful that the common vision will help us all find a way.  Plus, this is something that I can work on at home in my "free time" (Ha!).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable