Transitions

Sarah Graves has been going to her new school for nearly two weeks and it feels like for nearly two weeks we have been struggling.
She does great at school.  Her teacher says that she socializes well with others, follows directions, and is generally a sweet girl.  She pee pees on the potty for them and even tries new foods there.  She has made some friends and has her favorite kids in her class, Annabelle and Sidney.
The problem seems to start when I pick her up.  There is generally a battle over getting in her car seat, followed by crying much of the evening.  The other day she screamed the entire evening that she wanted to go to Depot, which is how she refers to her new school!  I didn't know if I should be elated or heartbroken.  Aaron and I kept explaining that it was closed and everyone went home, but that was no consolation to her.  She is very tired in the evening and has been going to bed by 7:30 every night.  She had been staying up a little later and was used to getting up earlier, so she is definitely exhausted by her day.
She has also been having some nightmares where she calls out, "NO, NO" and then cries out loudly.  I asked her what they are about and she could only tell me sharing.  I asked her teacher about any issues with sharing going on and she said that SG shares well and that she hadn't seen any other kids not sharing with her.  She was so distraught the other night that I picked her up and brought her into our bed, something that she usually will not put up with no matter how tired she is.  She got in between us and slept on the rest of the night that way without incident.  It was a little unusual for us as we aren't used to having a toddler stretched out between us, but I felt better knowing she felt safe and was resting.
The mornings are generally a battle because she is not in the habit of getting up and getting dressed first thing.  She tells me she doesn't want to get dressed, doesn't want to wear panties, doesn't want to fix her hair, etc.  I am so glad that I have this bit of quality time with her every morning, ha!
There is also usually a battle over bringing what she refers to as her binkie (her blanket) and her love with her to school.  We have versions of them that stay at school, but she gets fixated on the idea of bringing them with her.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!