Taking It on the Road

Yesterday I made a day trip to Pittsburg for work. I was thankful that we were not gone overnight,but it made for a long day.
I hated the idea of not seeing Sarah Graves in the evening, but pumping was my biggest concern. I traveled with my boss and a colleague and we met up with 3 HR leaders for that area. Needless to say, my.time was not my own. We left for the airport at 5:45 and by the time we made it to their office around 10, I was longing for my pump. I quickly escaped to the restroom for a few minutes and ezpressed a bit to give me some comfort, but I didn't want anyone to get concerned about me (i.e., think I died in there). On the way to lunch I told my people my plan to order quickly and go pump while everyone waited for the food. This worked well, but I was occupying the only restroom for the whole place and I didn't want to be gone too too long.  I wanted to pump at the airport, but we got there not long before our flight was scheduled to depart and then we were delayed with no information on how long that might be, so I waited. By the time I made it home after 10, I was in pain. I finally pumped and it never felt so good! I pumped 14 ounces, then turned it over to SG to finish and she nursed for almost 20 minutes. Sweet relief!
I was nervous about bringing my milk through airport security, but it wasn't a problem.  I put it in the tray thing with my shoes and it went through the scanner in the insulated bag.  The breast pump got a little attention, but the TSA agent knew what it was and just checked it out to be sure. 
The trip was a good opportunity to get some exposure to areas outside of our headquarters and get to know my new boss a bit.  All in all, I'm glad I had the chance to go, but I wish it were easier to combine my Mommy duties with work.

Comments

Libby said…
Natalie, I feel your pain (literally)! It's so tough traveling and trying to keep up with pumping. I made my second trip to Denver this week, and it's definitely a challenge. I've pumped in airport bathrooms, cars, and any other place I can get a little privacy :).

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Cloth vs. Disposable