Sleep, Precious Sleep

I heard on the news this morning that a recent study showed that infants actually learn while they are asleep.  They said this is not the case for adults, what a shame. 
I am not sure how much learning my little wonder is doing because sleep does not seem to be her top priority all the time.  Before I came back to work we were getting up once and sometimes twice during the night.  Since I have come back to work, we are up multiple times each night.  We went through a phase for a week or two where she woke up about every hour during the night.  Not always to eat, sometimes just needing the pacifier put back in.  I started nudging Aaron and telling him it was his turn because I would feel so sleepy that I just couldn't move and I knew that she ate an hour before, so my presence was not required (Aaron now has a new respect for how hard it is to function on broken sleep).  Thank goodness that seems to have calmed down (knock on wood).  We are back to getting up two and sometimes three times a night to eat.  My only complaint (aside from the fact that I haven't slept for more than three hours at a stretch) is that her last time to wake up seems to be around 5 AM and I get up anyway at 5:30 AM.  So by the time I feed her and stumble back to bed, I have about 10 or 15 minutes before the alarm goes off.  I'm sure like all the other phases, this one will pass all too quickly.

Comments

Libby said…
Natalie, I feel your pain! I only have 4 weeks left until I go back to work, so I'm really working on getting Emily to sleep on her own (not on top of me) and it's not going well. Sometimes I'm so tired, I actually try to reason with her in the middle of the night so I can go to sleep! It's crazy...but I have to keep telling myself I know it will get better :).

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!