My Big Day Out

Yesterday was a luncheon and shower for my friend Sarah.  This was a big deal for me because it is the first time in a long time that I have left Sarah Graves for something other than work.  It is also the first time that Aaron really kept her all on his own.  When I first got there I felt out of my element and was immediately thinking that maybe this wasn't a good idea and I wanted to be with my baby.  Gradually though I found my way into conversation and remembered that I did know about things other than babies and work.  By the end of the day I enjoyed my time with the other girls and had a good time catching up with my dear friend.  
As a hostess for the event my contribution was the favor. We agreed on cupcakes and I picked these up from a cupcake shop called Sweet Pockets.  I could have made cupcakes, but these come in neat flavors like Happy Monkey, which is a banana bread cupcake with peanut butter frosting. Because you can't just hand someone a cupcake I went out in search of boxes for them.The first set of boxes that I bought were called cake boxes, but when I put the cupcake in, the box was huge for it.  So Friday night after dinner I talked Aaron into going out in search of new boxes.  I was totally shocked to find someone in Michael's who actually had several ideas of different boxes they sell that might be better sized for a cupcake.  He showed me these cute blue and green numbers from Paula Deen's new collection and they seemed to fit the bill.  Since Sarah Graves was born it has felt like I don't have time and will never have time for craft projects and such again, but putting these favors together helped me see that maybe I will have time for some of that. 
The luncheon was at South City Kitchen in Midtown, which has really yummy food.  The restaurant let us have the upstairs all to ourselves, so it felt much more private.  The other bridesmaids decorated the table and it looked so festive!   All week long I had been thinking about what I would order and how good it would taste.  Their fried chicken is super yummy.  I don't usually order fried chicken in nice restaurants, but they do it so nice and take the bone out of the breast for you that it isn't cumbersome or messy to eat.  Their grits are so heavenly and they do an individual pecan pie that as my Dad says is so good it will make you want to slap your mother-in-law!
   After our lunch Sarah opened her presents.  The theme of the shower was something for a date night for the happy couple.  People were really creative!  I put together items for them to make pizza together, someone else did items for cooking Chinese food, things for a day at the beach, and perfect for any girl she got some cute pajamas!
Because the other two bridesmaids live out of town, this was a full day event and the plan was for Sarah and her two other bridesmaids to have a night at a hotel with some bachelorette fun.  I didn't stay the night, but I did go and hang out with them for a while.    It was fun to have some girl talk and get to know my good friend's other friends. 

I was excited to get back to my family and enjoyed a bath with my baby and putting her to bed, but it was also nice to get out and be with some other grownuups and remember a little about life before baby.  All in all it was a fun break from the ordinary.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!