A Big Owie

Last Tuesday, Sarah Graves fell down at school and got a deep cut.  She and several girls were on the playground dancing to "Dynamite" on Kidz Bop, they did a jump, somehow Sarah Graves fell down, and when she came down her chin hit a rock.  It was a very innocent thing that was really just an accident.  She wanted to blame it on a friend of hers, but I think it was just one of those things that happens to kids.  I got the call that she had a deep cut and may need some stitches, so I dropped what I was doing and went to her.  

She was so brave sitting on a teacher's lap applying pressure to the cut to help the bleeding.  As soon as I saw her I scooped her into my arms and I felt her body relax against me.  For a moment, it was like holding her as a small baby; just feeling her melt into me.  I assured her it would be okay and we gathered her things to go see about this cut.  I wasn't sure if I should take her to her pediatrician, urgent care, or the ER so I went to Lovie's house to see what she thought.  We gave our pediatrician a quick call and they recommended going to the ER as all they would do is evaluate if you need stitches or not.  We headed to the ER at a local hospital a few blocks away and it was just right for what we needed since it wasn't crowded and we didn't have to wait long.  

The doctor felt stitches were definitely needed.  While he was getting everything set up for us, two heart attack victims came in and they needed him.  Sarah Graves never saw these two patients, but it must have made an impression because that is what she tells people about.  She didn't like the process of getting the stitches and said, "owie!" a lot, but I stayed with her holding her hands and tried to distract her from thinking about it.  Charlie was in the room and he started to get upset seeing his Sissy upset.  It was pretty sweet, actually.  Lovie comforted him while I stayed close to Sissy.  We got through it pretty easily and lunch from McDonald's and spending the afternoon with Lovie pleased her.  She didn't have any pain later that day and never really seemed to be bothered by the cut or the stitches.  

They told us to come back in five days, on Sunday, to get the stitches removed.  I figured that would be a piece of cake compared to having them put in.  Maybe I should have prepared a bit more because it wan't that easy.  She didn't act nervous about it and she hadn't really brought it up as something she was afraid of, but she certainly did not like it at all.  At first, she was just struggling a bit, then it got to where she wouldn't let them touch her without struggling.  And finally, even with me basically laying on top of her and trying to reassure her, she was writhing around.  They tried lidocaine cream to numb it a bit to make it easier.  Then, a second nurse came in to help.  Then there was the idea of a sheet around her to keep her from jerking.  Finally, it was Sarah Graves wrapped in a sheet like a mummy, strapped to a papoose board, an orderly held her chin up, I held her lower body and talked to her, a doctor held the scissors, and the nurse held the tweezers.  She screamed and struggled with everything she had.  I felt absolutely rotten having to force her to do it.  There was one stitch left and every time the doctor went to get it, she started to scream.  It felt like it took hours and in reality it took about thirty minutes.  I think I could have given birth and felt better than having to go through that.  Once the stitches were out, the nurse closed it up with some steri-strips and we were on our way.  

Since bars weren't open yet for me to get a grownup drink, we went to brunch at Copeland's and buried our emotions with really yummy food!  Even Sarah Graves loved their waffles with fresh cream, lemon bars, and chocolate dipped marshmallows!  In the afternoon she curled up in front of the TV and took a snooze with all of her comfort objects.  I don't blame her for needing a little nap to recover.  We all had one!  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frozen Party Details

Teenager!